Meeting and getting to know my sisters-in-law better was the highlight for me. We enjoyed talking and grocery shopping together. I appreciate the concern everyone had for my current state of pregnancy - they were so accomodating and kind about letting me get the rest I needed. It was also fun to get to know George and Ulene (Rob's aunt and uncle) a little better. They were able to spend a couple of days with us. We saw pics of their recent mission to Botswana, Africa. I asked if they've read the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency Series, and they have, and they said Botswana is really like that. I really enjoy those books, so that was fun.

We went to the beach in Ocean Shores to look for agates, but didn't find too many as the tide was coming in. We also went to the Interpretive Center there, which is basically a little visitor's center that tells you about Gray's Harbor and the surrounding areas. It was kind of like a museum- they had a kids' section with lots of fun things to touch and play with. That night we had a weenie and S'more roast at Jack and Charlet's house. The kids especially loved the marshmallow fight- they blew marshmallows at each other through skinny tubes.
Wednesday we visited Kalaloch beach near the Hoh Rain Forest, that had many rocks and tide pools. The kids loved climbing around in the rocks and looking at anemones, starfish, mussels, and all the other little creatures living in the water. We took some fun family pictures here. I sure had a heck of a time climbing back up the hill to the parking lot afterwards. So, we decided to take a scenic drive up to Forks, the setting of Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Series.

There wasn't much to see, which we expected, but at least we can say we've been there! The rest of the family went on a hike in the rainforest and we met at dinner time in the Quinault Lodge. Robert used to play piano there (dang, I should've gotten a picture!), and he favored us with some easy listening while we waited for the Banquet Room to be set up for our party of 24 people. It was fun to hear some stories about Grandma Charlet while dinner was cooking. Not only was this a family reunion, it was a weeklong celebration of Gma's 65th Birthday. We are proud to honor her and grateful she is our Matriarch.
Thursday was a day to relax and do whatever we wanted. Some of the kids went to the Beach with Grandpa to learn how to fly kites. Some went later on with Grandma to make sand castles. Us girls went grocery shopping to stock up on snacks for the trip home. The family talent show took place at the nearby LDS meetinghouse while dinner was cooking. That was fun- we have many diverse talents in our family. Jeanne and Krysta made a super DELISH meatloaf with carrots, salad, and cheesy garlic bread for dinner. We had German Chocolate Cake to celebrate Mom's/Grandma's birthday while she opened presents. I went to bed early, but heard them singing the Pemberton Family song (put to the tune of the Battle Hymn of the Republic), and when I read the words the next day I laughed. Very clever, whoever made it up.
On the way home we stopped for a few minutes at Maltnomah Falls, Oregon... mostly for a potty break. But it was a pretty sight to see. My pictures don't do it justice. Also, thanks to my sister Janelle for getting us her employee discount at the Marriott Spring Hill Suites in Boise! There's no way I could have made it 15 hours straight in the van. And the kids really enjoyed swimming in the pool.
Well, this will be a super long slide show, but I hope you enjoy the pictures!
No comments:
Post a Comment