Talk about sticking your foot in your mouth- BIG TIME...
So, about six months ago Rob says to me, "You know those shelves that Ethan and Emily have in their house?" and I replied, "The really big, dark, ugly ones?"
(#1 mistake: you shouldn't say that someone else's furniture is ugly, especially your new in-laws)
And Rob gets this look on his face like I just told him I hate his guts. "Why?" I ask...
"Cause my dad and I built those, and Ethan and Emily are thinking of giving them back to me." :(
(#2 mistake: definitely don't criticize something that even possibly may have been made by your new spouse) I'm a jerk.
"Oh. Um. Well, where would we put them? And, I don't really like them cause they're so big and bulky, and Emily has baskets on them to hide the stuff and I just don't like the way they look with baskets on them. I didn't know you made them. I didn't mean that they were 'ugly' per se..." (Choking on foot...)
Well, I was wrong. And I can admit it. They are not "ugly" shelves at all. In fact, as an entertainment center, they actually look very nice. (Did I mention that I'm a jerk?)
And, you know what? I'd really love some baskets to hide all the ugly junk that we want to store on this one.
And the new entertainment center is INFINITELY better than the other hand-me-down furniture that we were previously using. I wish I had better "before" pictures, but you get the idea...
So, I really need to apologize to my sweet sis and bro-in-law, Emily and Ethan... I'm sorry I called the furniture ugly, and complained about the baskets. :) (Sorry I don't have a pic of the two of you.) Thank you for giving them to us! I really am grateful.
Also, to my sweet, talented hubby... I'm sorry for insulting your craftsmanship! You really did a great job building these functional, handsome shelving units, and I'm glad that we get to utilize them to beautify and organize our home!
1 comment:
we all have those moments unfortunately...:) They look great though. I wish my hubby would make us something to put in our house.
Post a Comment