Monday, April 28, 2008

The Mayan

So, Robert and I went to a fun "themed" restaurant for lunch on Thursday. It's called "The Mayan" and I almost felt like I was on the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland. Everything was decorated and decked out in theme. While waiting for your "adventure" to begin, you can wander around the lobby and look at their "artifacts"... some of which MAY be real, and most of which we're pretty sure were not. But the displays were fun to look at.

We were seated at a table balanced precariously in the branches of a giant man-made tree.
We had a pretty good view of the Cliff Diver shows that happen at 20 past and 45 past the hour. The first show we saw was not too impressive, as far as the acting, but the diving was good. The next one had a bit better acting, and definitely more music and action, so we enjoyed that more. They last about 5-10 min each. The other pics I tried to take didn't turn out, thanks to the ambient lighting. http://www.themayan.com/

Most of the food was "mexican" type, but they had a few signature dishes that we decided to try. I had a pork barbacoa de yucatan....on a banana leaf with sweet potatoes and pineapple salsa. Robert enjoyed his cheese and carne asada enchilada, and I enjoyed what was left of his pico de gallo with rice. :) This is a picture of our $4 "appetizer" of guacamole.
We had to mix the additions in ourselves. We felt a little ripped off on the guac, but at least we got 2 big bowls of chips and a whole bunch of yummy salsa for free. It was a fun date!

No comments: