Friday, March 28, 2008

Roller Derby, Anyone?

So, we've been trying to figure out how to get the kids to help out a little more around the house. A couple of weeks ago on Saturday, I made a chart with various chores on it, and told the kids they could choose to help or not. Any chore they did got a sticker in the box. Whoever had the most stickers at the end of the weekend would get a special surprise.

ALL of the kids did chores! It was GREAT! We didn't have to bug them at all. The girls were especially gung ho about it, and were running around cleaning like mad-women. When Kaleb saw how many stickers the girls were getting, he said, "Hey Isaak, come on, let's go clean our room!" :) It worked like a charm.

We had a simpler chart for Sunday morning- mostly just tidying up and getting ready for church. That night we told the kids that they had ALL earned our special surprise and that the next weekend we would take them roller skating.



I found a coupon on the internet for Classic Skating... 5 people could skate for free. I didn't want to skate anyway, since I'm the world's biggest klutz, so that was perfect! On St. Patrick's Day, we bought pizza and ate it in the car on the way. We got in free and then they gave us coupons for free skate rentals. So the only thing we paid for there was a $3 pitcher of soda since we didn't have drinks with our pizza.

The kids all had a great time. Robert had fun taking turns with Macy and Isaak around the rink. His back was pretty sore the next day from bending over and holding them to keep them from falling. I had fun watching and taking pictures. We'll have to do it again sometime!

1 comment:

Kristi said...

I have to say I'm a little excited for the day when my kids can help do chores...ah.